The gluteal muscles are a group of three muscles which make up the buttocks: the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus. The functions of the muscles include extension, abduction, external rotation and internal rotation of the hip joint.
Glute workout for men and women
The gluteus maximus muscle is located in the buttocks and is regarded as one of the strongest muscles in the human body. The gluteus maximus muscle is responsible for the movement of the hip and thigh.
The gluteus medius is a broad, thick, radiating muscle, situated on the outer surface of the pelvis.
• Barbell, dumbbell, and machine squat
• Glute/hamstring raise
• Barbell, dumbbell, and machine lunge
• Barbell or dumbbell one-leg split squat
• Stiff-leg and Romanian deadlift
• Single and double-leg leg press on devices that allow for full thigh extension
The gluteus minimus is one of the secondary muscles that can produce a hip extension. This muscle is located deep the gluteus medius. It is a broad and triangular muscle.
• Gluteus Bridges (bent knee)
• Side Bridges
• Sumo Squats
• Lunges Inward